Sunday, November 17, 2013

Donald's brother Raymond finally found!

In my post last week I talked about Donald's lost brother Lowel, who was the oldest of the family and only lived five days.  The other missing brother was Raymond.  I had long suspected that the boys were probably buried in Riverside Cemetery in Blue Earth as Glen and Sophia had lived in Pilot Grove when they were young.  I had stopped there a few years ago and talked to the sexton for the cemetery and he assured me there was no one by the name of Morrow buried in the cemetery.  This continued a mystery I have been working on for probably 25 years.

This last week I got a copy of Raymond's death certificate, and on it, it listed 'Blue Earth Cemetery' as the place of burial, and as Riverside is the only cemetery in Blue Earth, I gave it another shot and called the sexton again.  I told him I suspected that Raymond would be buried in either the baby section if they had one, and it turns out they do, or he would be buried in the Schock plot where Sophia's parents Louis and Sophia are buried.  This would make sense as Glen and Sophia were young, and many times a child would be buried with their grandparents.  He again assured me there were no Morrow's in the cemetery, but after some prodding I asked him to check their plot records for the Schock plot.  Sure enough there was a record of an 'infant' buried there, with no name.  This would make some sense as Raymond's name on his Death Certificate was infant.  Apparently he was named sometime after his death and burial.  In their records as Raymond had no name he was listed as infant Schock.  They have now updated their records with Raymond's name.

Raymond only lived two days.  He was born on December 29, 1920 and died on December 31, 1920 of a cerebral hemorrhage.  As the place of death was listed as Pilot Grove township, and that was Glen and Sophia's address, my assumption is that he died at home.

We can only imagine the grief that Glen and Sophia went through, losing their first two children, only living a few days.  I am curious and will probably never know, if after losing their first child up in northwestern Minnesota, when Sophia got pregnant with their second child if that may have been why they decided to move back home.  This would have been days of primarily horse and buggy for transportation and no phones.

For me personally the last couple weeks have been extremely satisfying for a family history perspective as it has always bothered me that these two brothers seemed to be lost to the family and I was unable to find them.  Now they we know where they are and what happened to them it brings a nice feeling of satisfaction.

A question for the Morrow family.  It always bothers me personally when someone is buried without a headstone, as they become forgotten, as Raymond has been probably for a long time.  To put a simple stone on his grave, would probably cost about $300 to $400.  Would there be any interest in the family of putting a stone on your uncle's grave?  I would coordinate it if there was enough interest to do so, just let me know.  For whatever reason, Lowel has one, but Raymond does not.

No comments:

Post a Comment